National Barbeque Week is steadily approaching in the UK (5th – 17th July) and what better way to celebrate the start of summer than a barbeque to unite all your loved ones.
We’ve complied some delicious recipes suited to all dietary requirements to kickstart the barbecue season.
From portobello burgers with halloumi to charred vegetable and couscous salad, there is a recipe for all the family to enjoy.
Jerk chicken and vegetable skewers with mango salsa
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces (swap for Tofu to make this recipe vegan)
- 3 tsp jerk seasoning
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 courgette, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 4cm chunks
For the salsa:
- 320g pack mango chunks, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- Bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, diced
- Combine the chicken/tofu with the jerk seasoning, lime juice olive oil and marinate in fridge for a minimum of 20 mins, or up to 24 hours.
- Create your salsa by combining all ingredients together and season to taste.
- Heat up your grill or barbecue and thread your chicken, red onion, yellow pepper, and courgette onto metal skewers.
- Cook for 10 minutes on each side until cooked through and charred.
- Serve with some salad and enjoy.
Charred vegetable and couscous salad
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 4 baby aubergines, each sliced lengthways into 3
- 3 yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 courgettes, cut into 3cm chunks
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 250g couscous
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, basil, chilli flakes and lemon juice and add in red peppers, baby aubergines, yellow peppers, red onions and courgettes and allow to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the couscous in a bowl and pour over boiling vegetable stock, cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- Brush the barbecue with oil and grill the marinated vegetables for about 10-12 minutes until tender and lightly charred all over.
- Fluff up the couscous and combine with grilled vegetables, serve and enjoy.
Portobello burgers with halloumi
- 4 medium Portobello mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 burger buns, sliced
- 225g halloumi, sliced into 2cm pieces (remove to make vegan)
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 tub red pepper houmous
- Brush your barbecue with olive oil and place the sliced halloumi onto it.
- Cook for 2 mins, turning every 30 seconds until golden and charred lines appear, set aside.
- Grill your mushrooms on the barbecue both sides for 4-5 mins, or until cooked to your preference.
- Toast your buns on the barbeque.
- Assemble your burgers by spreading houmous onto the bottom and adding your mushroom, halloumi, tomato slices and lettuce leaves and top with your bin lid.
- Serve and enjoy.