Deliciously sweet and super healthy, asparagus is easily one of the UK’s food treasures, promising a beautifully soft flavour and – if they’re fresh – that perfect crunch in every spear. It’s only available for a few weeks in the year, so indulge guilt-free with some of our favourite recipes.
PERFECTLY COOKED ASPARAGUS
This quick recipe ensures excellent asparagus every time!
- Asparagus (5 or 6 spears each, washed and trimmed at the bottom)
- Olive oil, about a tablespoon
How to Make
- Preheat grill.
- Line up asparagus and, using a basting brush, coat with olive oil, then sprinkle with a little salt.
- Cook under grill for about six minutes, turning halfway through.
- Serve alone as a snack, or as a side – this is perfect with a roast dinner, on a bed of salad, or even dipped in a soft-boiled egg.
MINT AND ASPARAGUS FRITTATA
For a quick but impressive seasonal meal, you can’t go wrong with a good frittata, and Drizzle and Dip’s version with mint and asparagus is the perfect example of how to get it right. Serve it with salad and a glass of bubbly in the afternoon for an indulgent lunch.
ASPARAGUS PROSCIUTTO WRAPS
Asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto are a fairly common recipe, but FOODjimoto’s fantastic recipe takes that one step further, creating large dinner-size portions with carrots and basil. We think toasted pine nut would be the perfect addition to this, but really the possibilities are endless!
CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS BAKE
It’s not always as warm as we’d like it to be in spring, but with My Food Religion’s warming oven bake you can still enjoy fresh spring asparagus when it’s too cold for salad! Serve with broccoli and a little cheese – while you could grate cheddar over the top before you bake, we think a better alternative is to add parmesan shavings once you’ve served it up!