We’ve lined up some fruity alternatives so you can enjoy the humble strawberry in these mouth-watering, irresistible dishes!
The humble strawberry is more versatile than you think. They add a real punch to savory dishes too, but like most sweet things, you’ve got to pair them perfectly which is why we’ve put together these useful recipes.
Bright, tangy, sweet and juicy they’re the essence of summer meaning they’re perfect for street parties, barbecues or a quick breakfast. We’ve lined up our top four mouth-watering alternatives to get your tastebuds tingling…
Tangy Strawberry & Mango Fish Tacos
Create extra lively fish tacos by topping them with a juicy strawberry and mango salsa! Sweet berries and tropical fruit are the perfect combo for a festive summer dish.
Cook time 15 mins | Serves 4
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- lime juice (freshly squeezed) 2 tbsp
- chili powder or paprika 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin 1/2 tsp
- sea salt & black pepper 1/4 tsp
- white fish fillets (cod or similar flaky fish) 1 lb
- tortillas 8 (2 per person)
- red cabbage (grated) 1/4
- strawberries (chopped) 1/2 cup
- mango (chopped) 1/2 cup
- fresh mint (finely chopped) handful
- lime zest (freshly grated) 1/4 tsp
- lime juice (freshly squeezed) 2 tbsp
- fresh coriander (chopped)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add the cod and marinate in the fridge for 15–20 minutes.
- While the fish is marinating, mix the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Grate the red cabbage and save to garnish.
- Preheat a grill pan to medium heat.
- Remove the cod from the marinade and grill for 3–4 minutes on one side. Then flip and grill for 2 minutes on the other side, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Transfer the cod to a plate and let it rest for 5 minutes, then use a fork to flake it into pieces.
- Grill the tortillas if you wish for 10 seconds each. Divide the red cabbage and fish evenly among the tortillas. Garnish with the salsa and coriander.
Quick & Easy Strawberry Feta Salad
This quick and easy light summer salad is a really tasty way to include strawberries in a savory dish. It’s the sweetest summer salad you’ll ever try!
Cook time 10 mins | Serves 4
- blueberries 1 cup
- green olives (pitted) 1 cup
- strawberries (sliced & trimmed) 1.5 cup
- rocket salad leaves 120g
- Greek feta (1cm cubes) 100g
- balsamic glaze to garnish
- black sesame seeds to garnish
- Heat up a small frying pan and toast the sesame seeds for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Immediately transfer to a cold plate.
- Layer the rocket on serving plates. Cube the feta into roughly 1cm bitesize chunks and slice the strawberries into quarters.
- Top with the toasted sesame seeds and strawberries, then drizzle with the balsamic glaze to serve.
Sweet Strawberry Soup
This chilled soup is the perfect recipe if you have any over-ripe strawberries left over to create a tangy and irresistible dessert – perfect to enjoy on a hot summer’s day!
Cook time 20 mins | Serves 2
- fresh or over-ripe strawberries 1 pint
- water 4 cups
- sugar 1/2 cup
- juice of 1lemon
- ice cream of your choice
- sprig of fresh mint to garnish
- Wash and stem the strawberries. Cut them in half.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, sugar and lemon juice to the boil.
- Add the strawberries to the boiling water and cook until the berries are breaking apart and liquid is red and thick. Remove strawberries from the liquid and allow the soup to cool.
- Once cooled, add a dollop of ice cream and fresh mint to garnish.
Creamy Chia Seed & Strawberry Delight
Cook time 20 mins | Serves 4
For vanilla chia seeds
- almond milk 400ml
- natural yogurt 60ml
- honey 4 tsp
- vanilla pod 1
- chia seeds 100g
For strawberry smoothie
- strawberries (hulled) approx 175g
- small banana (sliced) 1
- orange juice (chilled) 100ml
- strawberries to layer (sliced) 1.5 cups
- mint to garnish
- For the chia smoothie – mix together the almond milk, yogurt and the honey. Cut the vanilla pod in half, scrape out the seeds and add them to the mixture. Stir in the chia seeds.
- For the strawberry smoothie – blitz the strawberries with the banana and orange juice in a blender until smooth.
- Chill both mixtures in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up.
- Meanwhile, slice strawberries and layer them in a jar or glass. Once cooled, layer the two smoothie mixtures and add mint to garnish.
Download the Recipe Cards Here