With thanks to KitchenAid, you can jazz up a classic salad with this bright and subtly smokey dish!
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts (medium, trimmed)
- 1 pound radishes (trimmed, about 12 large)
- 1 cup white wine vinegar (divided)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 green onions (each cut into 3 pieces)
- 6 basil leaves (large, torn)
- 1/4 cup chives (chopped, divided)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
Preheat grill to high heat.
Remove and discard 3 or 4 outer leaves off of each lettuce head to leave a tight lettuce heart; cut in half lengthwise.
Attach Spiralizer attachment to KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Center one radish on fruit and vegetable skewer; attach to Spiralizer. Attach fine spiralizing blade and position at end of radish. Place large bowl under blade to catch spiralized radishes. Turn stand mixer to speed 4 and process until blade reaches end of radish. Repeat with remaining radishes, reserving radish cores in bowl as well.
Add ¾ cup vinegar, 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt to radishes in bowl; toss gently. Let stand 10 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, add oil, onions, basil, half of the chives, and remaining vinegar, sugar and salt to KitchenAid® Blender. Process on speed 4 (puree)until smooth. Evenly brush cut sides of lettuce with 2 tablespoons of the dressing mixture. Grill 1 to 2 minutes or just until charred with grill marks.
Serve lettuce immediately, evenly drizzled with remaining dressing and garnished with pickled radishes, tomatoes, remaining chives and fresh cracked black pepper.