How to add an integrated dishwasher into a small kitchen
Small kitchen ideas
A dishwasher can completely change your kitchen lifestyle, freeing up space and time so you can enjoy cooking and dining with a renewed sense of ease. And just because you have a small kitchen, it doesn't mean you can't reap the benefits.
By choosing the style and placement of your dishwasher carefully, and cleverly integrating it into the rest of your design, you can add a dishwasher to a small kitchen without having to lose out on layout.
Where to put a dishwasher in a small kitchen
Deciding where to place a dishwasher is key to ensuring your kitchen functions fluidly, especially when you're working with a small space. Ideally, it'll be easily accessible without being in the way when the door is down. Some key things to consider:
- Choose a slimline option: Certain dishwashers are specifically designed to fit into compact spaces, which is perfect if you're trying to squeeze an appliance in to a tight space. Browse our full range to find the right size for your kitchen.
- Tuck it underneath the sink: Opt for a single-bowl sink and integrate the dishwasher where you otherwise might have a double, under-sink unit, beneath the countertop to the side of the bowl and the sink's piping.
- Fit it in the corner: Kitchen corners are often unused spaces where we tend to hide seldom-used items, so maximise the space by fitting a dishwasher. You'll still have the luxury of worktop space while making good use of the area beneath.
- Add it on the end: If your layout doesn't allow for an under-sink or corner dishwasher, consider fitting one at the end of your units, tucked away at the edge of your kitchen. This allows you to store your essentials in the heart of your kitchen and still have easy access when tidying up.
How to style a dishwasher for a small kitchen
Deciding on placement is only half the battle – choosing the right colour and finish for your dishwasher will help to incorporate it seamlessly into your overall design scheme.
The style you choose will depend on the look of your room, but there are a few simple things you can do to make sure your dishwasher adds both functionality and flair to your kitchen.
- Hide it behind a cupboard: The simplest way to maintain a free and open feel across your design scheme is to integrate your dishwasher by hiding it behind a cupboard door, seamlessly blending it into your kitchen.
- Colour match: Choosing a dishwasher the same colour as your existing units – or changing your units to match your dishwasher – will allow it to merge into the rest of your kitchen.
- Strip it back: When maximising the layout in a small kitchen, handleless features in a gloss finish will reflect light around the room on top of creating an uncluttered look, helping to give off an illusion of space. Pair a sleek dishwasher with minimalist units for a modern feel.
- Colour blocking: If you don't want to opt for a single colour, consider choosing a contrasting shade for the cupboards and the dishwasher, styled along a single wall of your kitchen. If you choose a dark colour, be sure to balance it out with light flooring and pale units across the rest of your scheme, so you don't overwhelm the limited space.
Even when you're reckoning with a small space, you can still include a dishwasher to improve your kitchen. By using the space you do have and being savvy with colour and placement, you can revel in the luxuries of a dishwasher.
For more inspiration on where to fit features in a small kitchen, check out our larder and appliance cabinets installation guide.