With Eddie Shepherd from The Walled Gardens Underground Restaurant in Manchester
A taco of oyster mushrooms cooked in a chipotle sauce on fresh corn tortillas.
I learnt how to make these whilst I was doing a pop up restaurant in Mexico City.Eddie Shepherd
- 250g Masa Harina (available online)
- 350g Water
- 5g Salt
- 15g Sunflower oil
- Mix together in a bowl until well combined into a dough.
- Divide into balls of approximately 40g.
- Flatten balls into tortillas in a tortilla press.
- Store under a damp tea towel until ready to cook.
- Cook the tortillas on a hot flat griddle pan, for approximately 45 seconds on each side.
- Store the hot cooked tortillas in a tortilla cozy or wrapped in clean tea towels to keep them warm, they need to be kept warm until they are served.
Oyster Mushroom Chilli
- 1 Onion
- 250g Closed cap mushroom – quartered
- 250g Oyster mushrooms – torn into long strips
- 1/4 Jar chipotle in adobo – blended
- 500g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil – optional
- Cut the onion into slices and sauté it in a pan with a little oil for around five minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile tear the oyster mushrooms into long strips and quarter the closed cap mushrooms.
- Add all the mushrooms into the pan with the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the blended chipotle in adobo and tinned tomato and truffle oil if using and allow the mixture to simmer.
- Continue cooking the chilli over a low heat until the mixture begins to thicken a little (enough that the liquid is no longer thin and watery). This could take up to an hour of very gentle cooking.
- Set aside the chilli until ready to serve or refrigerate to re-heat later.
Strawberry salsa dressing can be made a few days in advance.
- 180g Fresh strawberry
- 120g Fresh tomato
- 60g Red onion – chopped
- 30g White wine vinegar
- 15g Olive oil
- Juice & Zest 3 limes
Blend all together well.
Finishing the Salsa
- 180g Chopped fresh strawberry
- 120g Chopped fresh tomato
- 60g Chopped red onion
- Prepared strawberry salsa dressing (from above)
- Combine the finishing fresh ingredients in a bowl and dress with the strawberry salsa dressing.
- Ideally let the fresh ingredients sit in the dressing for at least an hour.
- 85g Creme Fraiche
- 2g / Pinch Salt
- Juice of half a lemon
Combine the ingredients in a bowl and refridgerate until ready to serve.
Crumbled Feta – Optional
Take a warm tortilla and place a little creme France in the center of it. Top this with the oyster mushroom chilli and then finish the taco with a little of the strawberry salsa. Finish with fresh herbs if you have them and a squeeze of lime.
You can serve these in a more family style, place everything on the table and get everyone to tuck in and build their own tacos.