Whole-wheat oat and seed soda bread
With Neff, learn how to make a wholesome breakfast bread this half term. It’s super simple as there’s no proving and you can have it on the table in less than half an hour – a perfect recipe for your children to get stuck in to!
- 200g whole-wheat flour
- 250g plain flour
- 60g oats
- 75g seed mix
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 450ml buttermilk
- 1 small egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat the oven to Circotherm 180 degrees C. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Place the flours, all but 1 tbsp of the oats, all but 1 tbsp of the seeds, the bicarbonate of soda, sugar and the salt in a large bowl and mix together.
- Pour in two-thirds of the buttermilk and mix using your hands (get the little ones messy!). Add more buttermilk until the mixture comes together without being sticky.
- Place on a floured surface and shape the dough into a ball.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking tray and flatten slightly. Use a sharp knife (adults only) to cut a cross into the top of the bread.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle on the reserved seeds and oats, pushing them in slightly. Place in the oven. Add low steam and cook for 40-45 mins until golden brown and hollow underneath when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack for 10 mins. Then slice and serve – enjoy!