Are you a chocolate and orange lover? Best enjoyed fresh from the oven, these delicate madeleines dipped in dark chocolate make a delectable dessert for all to enjoy.
100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
2 large eggs
100g golden caster sugar
Zest of 2 oranges and approximately 2 tbsp orange juice
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
140g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
You will need a 12 hole Madeleine tin
This will make between 18-24 Madeleine’s depending on the size of the tin
1. Grease the Madeleine tin with butter and dust with a little flour. Shake off any excess flour. Preheat oven to 160°c.
2. Melt butter until it’s foamy and turns a nutty brown, pour into a bowl & set aside to cool.
3. Beat eggs, sugar and orange zest in a large bowl with an electric whisk until thick and pale. Add orange juice & mix thoroughly. Combine flour and baking powder then add to the batter a third at a time & fold in carefully.
4. Add a large spoonful of the batter to the butter, mix together until fully combined. Pour this into the batter and gently fold together until fully combined. At this stage it may be chilled over night.
5. Add about 1 heaped tbsp to each Madeleine hole (or pour the batter into a piping bag and pipe mixture into each hole).
6. Bake on Low Humidity for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Turn out immediately onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
7. In a saucepan melt the chocolate on a low setting on the induction hob.
8. Dip each Madeleine halfway into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess to drip off, then place on a sheet of baking parchment. Allow the chocolate to set before serving.